Health and Safety
West Wittering Sailing Club has an active approach to health and safety based on identifying and managing risk. Policies and practice are regularly reviewed by the Committee in the light of experience and best practice. Key elements of our approach to health and safety include:
- Health and Safety Management System: this is an overarching framework which includes risk assessments for all of WWSC's waterborne and shore based activities. The system folder contains duly authorised risk assessments signed by relevant club officers, this is kept for inspection in the Club Hut. You can see it all here Safety Management System (2022). Guy Russell is the nominated Club Safety Officer and any queries should be addressed to him in the first instance. You may contact him by email here.
- Safety Log: this is a hard copy manual in which members are asked to record any incidents of concern. The log is kept in the Club Hut and reviewed regularly at committee meetings. Remedial actions are recorded in the log where appropriate.
- Detailed Operating Instructions for race management teams and patrol boat crews are provided here and in hard copy form (on laminated sheets) in the Club Hut. Names of qualified First Aiders are also available in this format. Waterborne Activity Risk Assessments play an important part in managing sailing events. A copy of the assessment Forms and Guide are available here Waterborne Risk Assessment Forms
- Our Safeguarding Policy. The Club considers that the safety and welfare of children is paramount and adheres to the RYA's Safeguarding policy and guidance. For the purposes of this, and as defined by the Children Act 1989, WWSC considers anyone under the age of 18 to be a child. Camilla Green is the nominated Club Welfare Officer and any queries should be addressed to her. The policy can be downloaded here Safeguarding Policy.
- Covid-19: Following the gradual return to normality during 2022 the Club has suspended the special arrangments invoked to reduce Covid-19 risks. We do nevertheless ask members to behave sensibly and not take part in Club events if they have, or suspect they may have, the virus.
Last updated 19:14 on 27 September 2023